This painting is one I did a couple of months ago. Somehow it didn’t get posted yet.
It is done with oil brushes and liquid inks and some pencils were added. I did this piece in Painter 2015.
It was a very hard piece to bring to a conclusion. I really liked parts of it, but there were areas, as it developed, that drove me nuts. When I did this, I was focusing, as usual on lights and darks. Values and good contrast are big parts of a good painting.
In Painter, it is possible to add a layer to the piece I’m working on, then I fill the layer with black and choose the composite method colorize. When that layer is open, it turns the painting into grey scale. It is then easy to see whether the painting has enough values going on.
I ended up turning this picture on its side several times before deciding that it would go this way. That is something I learned in my first painting class from Flora Bowley.
It really comes in handy when working on an abstract.
I have had a very hard time this year with my health. I have had a lot of break-through pain. Something that hasn’t happened in over a year. That, along with GOK (God Only Knows) has caused me to have to spend more time in bed and paint less this year. I get very despondent on days when I feel sick. It feels like I’ve stepped backwards and will never go forward again.
I think this is all part of the healing process from lyme disease. A good friend and I have discussed this years’ setbacks. I’ve concluded, with her help, that just maybe the bad days seem a lot worse because the good days are so much better. I certainly hope so.
I try to continue to stay positive no matter what my health is doing. I am just very grateful to be able to do art again.